Thursday 4 December 2008

X-box adventures of a novice

Ok, not an awful lot to discuss today so I thought I would do a couple of reviews. Keep in mind that I'm an Xbox novice and I generally play games on Easy or Normal because I'm an adventure gamer at heart and worry more about progressing the story than I do wanting to blow away a thousand million bad guys.

Rainbow Six Vegas 7/10 - Status, un-finished, just passed Hell's Gate
I was dubious about what this game would be like when I saw the box but after getting to grips with the controls I absolutely love this game. The storyline is intriguing and there's a nice set of missions before you hit the Strip itself which was great. Being able to move your team around and make them storm in rooms and stuff is just brilliant - it's a lot of fun. As always though there comes a point where it's just more of the same, and frustration kicks in. It would have benefited from a few more checkpoints along the way, but I'm saying that cos I'm shit at FPS games. None the less, all the tricks, the graphics & the story make this a fantastic game to play. Highly recommended!

Gears of War 2 8/10 - Status, finished
I have had a go on the first game but I'm not allowed to play it in full yet because my friend wants to do the solo campaign first, hehe. None the less I WAS allowed to play the sequel and it's been a lot of fun. The controls & characters remain the same, but this time the aim is to reach the heart of the bad guys and take them out. There are a lot of twists and turns and the story is extremely engrossing. Sure, you have to blow away a lot of Locust alien things but this feels like a worthy battle. There are quite a few un-expected twists and turns which I thought were neat, as you hit points where you think "I know whats coming next" but it doesn't. Awesome game, with quite a few unique & interesting challenges besides running around on foot. Genuinly scary moments too, though I'm not convinced it is as scary as the first, afterall, where are the Beserkers? Where are those flying creature things? Maybe I have to complete the first game to find out why they aren't in the 2nd. Very definitely play this if you can. It's fantastic :D

That'll do for now :)

No comments: